Understanding how to effectively measure and manage impact is critical to ensuring impact investors are achieving their desired impact results to address the world’s most pressing social and environmental challenges. In this section, you will find guidance, information, tools, and other resources designed to help you navigate and implement impact management into your day-to-day operating practices.
To strengthen the identity of impact investing, the Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN):
- Developed the Core Characteristics of Impact Investing to provide the market with baseline expectations of what it means for investors to credibly practice impact investing.
- Launched the IRIS+ system to help investors measure, manage, and optimize their impact. As such, IRIS+ provides the market with how to adhere to the Core Characteristics.
What is Impact Measurement & Management?
Impact measurement and management includes identifying and considering the positive and negative effects one’s business actions have on people and the planet, and then figuring out ways to mitigate the negative and maximize the positive in alignment with one’s goals. Impact measurement & management is iterative by nature.
The article discusses four distinct actions to get started:
- Set goals and expectations
- Define strategies
- Select metrics and set targets
- Manage impact performance